The forecast for the dental implant to work for a long time is very good. This applies whether it is a single implant, a brolösning or a full denture.
Based on a rough appraisal of the information in the Board’s report (ISBN: 91-7201-810-0) can be stated that about 95% of implants are functioning correctly at the control after 10 years.
Adverse reactions rare but possible
As mentioned earlier, there are few patients who suffer complications of implant treatment.Among the complications, however, occur include the following.
- Loss of fixture before or after the load occurred
- Consisting sensory loss in connection with the implants
- Soft tissue complications requiring treatment
- Inflammation around the implant
- Bone loss around the implant
- Fracture of the implant
- Complications related to the different implant components
- Complications related to the prosthetic replacement
In addition to the above may also operational technical complications occur as e.g. the implants in the wrong position, the wrong direction, etc. which can damage adjacent teeth or hamper the ability to achieve a well-functioning prosthetics.
Causes of complications in the treatment of dental implants
Exactly what that makes you suffer a complication of treatment with dental implants are not fully understood. However, there are studies of the factors that contribute to a failure of the implant treatment, or at least to an increased risk of complications. Such factors include:
- Immediate loading of fixtures
- Unfavorable loading of the implant or prosthesis design
- poor bone quality
- Poor attachment of the implants during surgery
- To get implants in relation to the load
- inexperienced therapists
- careless surgery
- Patients who are smokers
The conclusion is that the risk of complications increases with the number of these factors are present in the individual case.
Be careful when choosing the clinic
As a patient, it can be helpful to know that dental implants can be screwed in by anyone who has a dental school. This since the requirement of specific expertise in the subject was dropped in 1999.
It is in the light of the above, important to be careful in the choice of processor and make sure that he / she has the experience and skills needed, thus minimizing the risk of complications.